I wanted an uncomplicated GF and vegan cornbread recipe because I missed cornbread. I started experimenting and this is it... sweet, moist and friggin delicious! Every time I tweak a recipe to make it gluten free I end up liking it better, and this cornbread is no exception. I used ground flax seed as the egg replacement. GF flour and almond flour replace the wheat flour.
Makes: Serves 8
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vinegar (I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup GF cornmeal
- 1/2 cup GF flour mix (I used King Arthur GF Flour)
- 1/2 cup almond flour aka almond meal (I use Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic raw cane sugar)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the flax seed with the water and set aside to thicken.
- Mix the almond milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the corn meal, GF flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir.
- Add the flax seed, almond milk and oil, then stir until combined... it should be quick 30 seconds or so.
- Pour into a lightly greased pan. I use a round glass 9.5 inch pie dish and it cooks in 30-35 minutes.