This cake tastes a lot like Christmas, and it's easy to make! If you follow the recipe as written, the moisture level should be perfect as long as you don't over bake. If you decide to leave out the maple syrup and use brown sugar instead, the cake will be a little drier, but still delicious. Adding an additional tablespoon of apple sauce or almond milk will add a little more moisture.
- 1 1/2 unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (can substitute with white flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (can substitute with brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine applesauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, almond milk, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and the spices are mixed (The sugar doesn't have to be completely dissolved).
- Add oil to the wet ingredients and combine.
- Add the flour mixture one cup at a time to the wet ingredients. Whisk just until combined. Do not over mix or your cake won't rise properly.
- Pour into an 8x8 greased pan.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until toothpick in center comes out clean. All ovens are different so adjust cooking time accordingly.
- When cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve vanilla ice cream if you like.