Vegan Alfredo sauce?! Yes! Once I started experimenting with making cashew based sauces I couldn't stop. Here I give you a sauce that is easy to make, delicious, versatile and so creamy even non-vegans will be fooled! Not that we are trying to trick anyone (wink). Initially, I avoided making anything that called for cashews. Who would want to soak cashews overnight, and how could they possibly make a delicious creamy sauce? I followed instructions, soak, then blend, and I couldn't get them completely smooth. Well, I learned the secret and I'm sharing it with you. Don't be like me... use the damn cashews.
Makes: 2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews (buy cashew pieces, it's cheaper)
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove (more if you love garlic)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups almond milk (start with 1 1/2 cups, add more until desired consistency is reached)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley (optional)
- Chop the onion and peel the garlic.
- Add the cashews, onion and garlic to a pot. Cover with water and boil for 20 minutes or until the onion is completely soft. Boiling the cashews will guarantee the sauce will be smooth.
- Add the cashews, onions, garlic and all other ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Add more almond milk to thin if necessary. A thinner sauce will work better to coat your pasta, veggies, or whatever you're putting the sauce on. It will also thicken after it cools.
- Taste, add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.