I know there are lot's of vegan hot dog options, but when I heard you can make hot dogs from carrots I had to try it. Smoky, salty un-processed dogs... yes, please! Bring these to the first summer barbecue and blow everyone's mind! Pile on the usual toppings and enjoy.
I wanted to see what would happen if I skipped the marinating for 6 hours and simplified the steps of the recipe. I prepared the marinade and cooked the raw carrots in the marinade until fork tender. The flavor was very similar to the 6 hour carrots. The non-marinated carrots taste slightly less hot doggy, but were still very flavorful. Also, they were darker in color. So it is possible to shorten the duration of this recipe and still have yummy dogs.
Makes: 8 Dogs
- 8 carrots peeled and ends trimmed (all the carrots should be uniform in size)
- 1/4 cup Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Add the carrots to a large pan or pot.
- Cover with water and boil for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. They should still be firm, do not over cook.
- Mix the Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce, water, vinegar, liquid smoke, paprika, garlic, pepper and mustard in a large bowl or large sealable bag.
- Add the carrots and make sure they are covered by the mixture.
- Put in the fridge and let marinate 4 - 8 hours.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add oil, add the carrots and cook until browned and heated through or grill until slightly charred and heated through.