Veggie Gravy aka Happy Family
In my early days of pre-vegan culinary experiments, I would make a dish using cream of chicken soup, chicken, and veggies. I know, ewww! Eventually, I made my own gravy instead of using canned yuckiness, and the dish improved. We called it Happy Family because everyone, kids included, would eat it... and it was pretty easy to make. Well, Happy Family has been veganized! I use frozen mixed vegetables, because it reminds me of chicken pot pie filling, so don't hate and use whatever veggies you like! If I had to choose one veggie (other then the peppers and onions) I would add peas, they belong in this dish! Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or biscuits.
You can substitute veggie broth or stock for the almond milk, but at a minimum I would do half and half. I recommend sticking with almond milk for extra creamy gravy. If you're looking for a basic gravy recipe just leave out the veggies out.
- 4 Tbsp oil or butter
- 4 Tbsp flour or sub for GF flour
- 1/4 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 - 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Few dashes of hot sauce
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 cup frozen mixed veggies
- Add frozen veggies to a pot. Cover with water and boil until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium.
- Add a small amount of butter or oil, and sauté the peppers and onions until soft.
- Remove the peppers and onions from the pan and set aside.
- Add the oil or butter to the pan.
- When the oil or butter is hot, add the flour and continiuasly stir for one minute.
- Add the poultry seasoning, black pepper, salt, and smoked paprika. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the almond milk while continuously whisking. The bottom will thicken first, so make sure you are making contact with the bottom of the pan while whisking.
- Once smooth, stir in the nutritional yeast and hot sauce.
- Add the peppers, onions, and mixed veggies; then simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.