Vegan Lemon Cake
Vegan Lemon Cake
My daughters prefer vanilla cake over chocolate, something I'll never understand #teamchocolate. This recipe was created when my middle daughter's birthday was coming up and I couldn't get the vanilla recipe quite right, all the vanilla recipes I tried came out too sweet and needed something more. When my daughter agreed to lemon cake this was the result... light, fluffy, moist, and delicious. I always serve my cakes in the glass pan I bake them in and just frost the top. If you would like to remove the cake from the pan and frost the entire cake please use whatever pan and technique works for you.
Makes: One 8" x 8" cake
- 1 cup plant based non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Zest from 1 small lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Thoroughly wash your lemon.
- Zest the lemon (rub the outside of the lemon on a fine grater, the goal is to remove only the yellow part of the skin) Set aside and reserve 1/2 tsp for the frosting.
- Cut the lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl and discard seeds. Set aside. Reserve 1 tsp for the frosting.
- Add one tsp of lemon juice to the milk. Stir and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Combine milk, oil, sugar, remaining lemon juice and zest (remember reserve some zest and juice for the frosting).
- In separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x8 pan (I use glass).
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness at 25 minutes. The cake will have risen and should be light golden brown.
- To make frosting combine the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and zest until smooth. You can do it by hand, but a hand mixer will get it done quicker. If it is too thin add more sugar, too thick add a drop of plant based milk at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Frost the cake when it has completely cooled and sprinkle the remaining zest on top.
- 2 Tbsp plant based butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest (the other 1/4 tsp will be used to sprinkle on top of the frosted cake)
- 1 Tbsp Plant based milk
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick, add an additional 1/2 tsp of plant based milk until desired consistency is reached. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar.