Lentils are proof that being vegan does not have to be expensive. They don't require soaking before cooking, making them quick and easy. Always look through your beans and lentils before cooking, sometimes little rocks or clumps of dirt make it into the package. This recipe also works really well in an Instant Pot. See the IP instructions below as well.
- 2 cups brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups of water
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder (optional for additional color)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk + 3 Tbsp
- 1 large potato chopped (optional)
- Heat a large pot on medium. Add oil and sauté the carrots, onions, bell pepper, and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder. Stir.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, and water. Stir and bring to a simmer.
- After 15- 20 minutes check to see if the lentils are almost done. If so, add the salt and potato, simmer for another 10 minutes until both the lentils and potato are done. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the remaining 3 Tbsp of coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over rice.
- Sauté the veggies in the IP.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the salt, but not including the 3 Tbsp of coconut milk. Combine well.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. The lentils will be very soft. If you want firmer lentils try reducing cook time to 12 minutes or less.
- Turn off IP and allow 15 minutes for natural release.
- Stir in remaining coconut milk.