Savory Creamed Kale
When you want a savory side dish, make this, it is so good. I will definitely serve this on that holiday when families get together to eat and be thankful... You know what day I'm talking about.
- 1 bunch of kale (about 12 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp plant based butter (or oil)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups plant based milk
- Add the kale, a sprinkle of salt, and 1/4 cups water to a large pan. Cook on medium low heat until desired texture is reached. I cook mine for about 15 minutes. Stir often and add more water if necessary.
- Remove kale from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the pan on medium. Add the butter and heat until melted.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and bell pepper until they start to soften about 7 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir so it doesn't burn. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and milk. Stir making sure to scrape the bottom and throughly mix all the ingredients. Cook for 2 minutes, it will start to thicken.
- Add the kale, cook for 2 minutes on low.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If the sauce is too thick add more milk.